Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The Green Giant


The matcha powder was in its small tin on the uppermost shelf of the kitchen cabinet. It seemed to regally hold sway over the rest of my teas. Or at least it seemed that way to me as I scanned my tea collection one morning. Sencha, the everyday workhorse, stolid in the knowledge of its utility, was getting depleted steadily, day by day. Likewise, Keemun, could predictably count on the brevity of its existence on my shelf. But matcha, the lordly matcha, more often than not, sat with forlorn dignity, waiting for its turn at usefulness.

Could it be that I have been just a little intimidated by matcha? Perhaps its hallowed role as the star in the chanoyu (Japanese tea ceremony) for the last several centuries has imbued it with a mystique that has deterred me from thinking about it as an everyday tea. Scooping the powder, lightly letting it fall into the water, and then whisking it, I have often felt the pull of ceremonial tradition.


It was then high time for me to remove matcha from its sacrosanct nook and bring it down a few notches: it would be just another ingredient in a recipe for an eggy custard.

I whisked together the melange of eggs, milk, and sugar as the matcha powder swirled about the bowl, streaking the mixture with a mesmerizingly green hue.

I inhaled the comfortingly familiar aroma -reminiscent of spoonful after spoonful of an eggy flan from childhood. The first taste had barely a hint of matcha despite the startlingly brilliant greenness of the custard. That intimation of the matcha flavor lent a piquant note to the soft custardy background. Between bites of pillowy softness, I sipped the floral Ancient Snow Sprout, a honey-sweet Chinese green tea.


Recipe for Matcha Custard (Adapted from Vegetarian Times, Issue: January 1, 2005)
Serves 4

Ingredients:
1 cup of skim milk or low-fat milk
1/4 cup of granulated sugar
2 large eggs, well-beaten
1 heaping tsp. of matcha powder
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Heat milk and sugar in saucepan over low heat for about 5-7 minutes -until sugar dissolves.
3. Meanwhile, whisk eggs, vanilla, and matcha powder in a bowl. Pour this mixture into the milk-sugar mixture and stir well.
4. Pour the combined mixtures into 4 small ramekins and place these bowls into a large baking pan, filled partially with hot water.
5. Bake for about 30-35 minutes - closer to 35 minutes if using skim milk as the custard will take longer to set.
6. Remove from heat, garnish with berries, and serve either warm or chilled.








1 comment:

Kayla Anderson said...

Hello!

I recently spent some time perusing a few of your blog entries, and I must say I am quite impressed. My name is Kayla Anderson, and I am a member of the marketing/blogging department of EnglishTeaStore.com. We are one of the largest online retailers of tea and tea related products in the world, offering hundreds of types of tea and tea related products and accessories. I am constantly scouring the internet for individuals as passionate about tea and tea products as we are here at The English Tea Store.
We are on the verge of publicizing our Tea Store blog very soon. Thanks to the sheer size of our customer base, it will undoubtedly have a large audience of readers, and we wish to provide our readers with the absolute best and most passionate content that a blog about tea could ever hope to have.
According to the content of a few of your blog articles, you definitely have a passion for tea, and as such I would like to extend an offer to you. I am searching for a few of the best tea blog writers on the internet to assist us in creating one of the most informative and passionate tea blogs in the world, and I would like to personally offer you an invitation to assist us in this particular endeavor.
On behalf of The English Tea Store, I would like to invite you to become a member of our blogging team. We are after honest quality, not sheer quantity, and believe that you have the exact sort of interest and passion for tea that we are looking for.

Rest assured; you will be justly compensated for each and every accepted blog post that you wish to provide.

Please consider the invitation, and email me at Kayla.Anderson@onlinestores.com with your decision at your earliest convenience. In the mean time, feel free to check us out online:
http://www.englishteastore.com – Our homepage
http://englishtea.us – Our current blog
http://www.onlinestores.com – Our corporate homepage

Thank You